THIS CONSULTATION IS NOW CLOSED.
Barwon South West and Grampians Central West Waste and Resource Recovery Groups (the Groups) are legislated to develop Regional Waste and Resource Recovery Implementation Plans (regional implementation plans), this includes a schedule of the existing and future waste and resource recovery infrastructure that is required to manage the regions’ waste.
From 16 January to 8 February 2016 we conducted a joint market sounding to gather information from industry organisations and local government about plans and proposals for meeting the waste management and resource recovery needs of the regions over the next 10 years.
The information gathered from this process will enable the Groups to assess the regions infrastructure and capacity requirements and to develop the schedule contained within each of the regional implementation plans.
An expert advisory panel made up of government and industry representatives will assess the submissions against the following criteria:
- Does the proposal align with the strategic objectives of the state infrastructure plan?
- Does the proposal meet an identified regional opportunity or need?
- Does the proposal utilise technology that is proven, internationally or locally?
- Does the proposal meet land use planning requirements?
- Does the proposal meet regulatory requirements?
- Does the proposal consider community concerns and impacts?
- Does the process consider an end market?
The Groups will use the advisory panel’s advice to gauge the future opportunities and challenges for the waste sector.
This information will help shape the directions in the groups separate draft regional implementation plans which will be released for public consultation in 2016. After consultation these plans will be submitted for approval to the Minister for Environment, Climate Change and Water.