What waste and resource recovery topics and challenges are important to Ballarat?
- New Garden waste collection service, implementation, interchange facility and resource re-use;
- Progressing resource recovery industries and technologies as part of the Ballarat West Employment Zone precinct and liaison with surrounding municipalities in consideration of this;
- Planning and development of a new Transfer Station in the Ballarat West Employment Zone and the transition from the existing Gillies Street South facility;
- Management and operations of the Ballarat Regional Landfill (Smythesdale) located within the Golden Plains Shire Council;
- Ongoing monitoring of closed landfills; and
- Stockpile management at private reprocessors.
What are the key existing facilities in this municipality?
- Ballarat Transfer Station
- A number of private reprocessors that provide the region with materials resource recovery
What facilities are expected to change within the next ten years in this municipality? (This may include new, or expanded facilities, or facilities to be closed).
- Relocation of existing Ballarat Transfer Station and redevelopment within the Ballarat West Employment Zone;
- Feasibility and investigations towards an energy from waste facility within the Ballarat West Employment Zone;
- Continual improvement of private reprocessing facilities.
What are the key Regional Implementation Plan Priority Actions for this Municipality?
1. Assess and, where viable, support the development of solutions and systems to increase the recovery of priority materials.
3. Work across all levels of Government, Industry and Investors, to explore innovative and technological advancements that could inform future infrastructure development and investment.
4. Work with Councils and Industry to upgrade (and rationalise) infrastructure, improve operations and engage communities.
6. Work with Councils and relevant state planning authorities to site new infrastructure appropriately and protect existing facilities and hubs from encroachment.
This information has been collated by Grampians Central West WRRG. It in no way reflects any policy, intent, or proposal of the City of Ballarat or Staff.
Information collated in July 2016.