What waste and resource recovery topics and challenges are important to Northern Grampians?
- Consolidation of Resource Recovery Centres / Transfer Stations to ensure a viable, cost effective, centralised facility;
- Low volumes of garden waste and difficult to process due to contamination and pathogens;
- Looking for regional solutions to local issues such as joint procurement;
- Closure of St Arnaud Landfill by 2017 and its rehabilitation;
- Long term establishment of a landfill and the reutilisation of the Stawell Goldmine; and
- Tyre stockpile reduction and resource recovery options.
What are the key existing facilities in this municipality?
- Statewide Waste Regional Landfill
- Stawell Transfer Station, St Arnaud Transfer Station and Landfill and one (1) rural Transfer Station
What facilities are expected to change within the next ten years in this municipality? (This may include new, or expanded facilities, or facilities to be closed).
- Investigate the consolidation and rationalisation of some of the rural Resource Recovery Centres and examine the feasibility of a new Resource Recovery Centre (potentially with a neighbouring municipality).
- Urban Tyre Recycling Corporation – Tyre shredding and pyrolysis.
What are the key Regional Implementation Plan Priority Actions for this Municipality?
1. Assess and, where viable, support the development of solutions and systems to increase the recover of priority materials.
2. Facilitate the development of regional partnerships to enable efficiencies in resource recovery, materials transport and disposal.
4. Work with Councils and Industry to upgrade (and rationalise) infrastructure, improve operations and engage communities.
5. Facilitate work between Councils or Industry and EPA Victoria to progress any rehabilitation assessments and requirements for closed landfills.
This information has been collated by Grampians Central West WRRG. It in no way reflects any policy, intent, or proposal of the Northern Grampians Shire Council or Staff.
Information collated in July 2016.